Friday, May 15, 2009

Essential Oils Recipe

by Michelle Harrington
[From the Summer 2007 Canaan Club of Ontario Newsletter]

As a teenager I was the classic water rat. I worked in the evenings and on weekends  as a swimming instructor and lifeguard and competed on the swim team. H20 was my life!I was always on the hunt for the latest hair and skin product to help alleviate the dryness caused from both pool and lake water.

One day my mother led me into the kitchen. Not one who was  interested in baking, I was wondering if it was now the time I was to learn how to bake a pie. My mother handed me a big bottle of olive oil and told me to go to the sink. There, she drizzled the oil on my hair, massaged it thoroughly, and wrapped it in plastic wrap. She soothed oil on my hands and face and told me to go enjoy a book. Although the pages in my book became a bit saturated and the once a week wash cycle was less than pleasureable, the oil had restored brightness and comfort to my hair and skin the natural way.

Why "Oil up" your Canaan?

Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are vital nutrients that have an impact on both human and animals' bodies. EFAs aid in the functioning of the brain, cardiovascular and immune systems, gastro-intestional, and wound healing. From olive oil to flax seed oil, we can enhance the health of our canine companions inside and out, by introducing EFAs into their diets.

The following recipe is sure to bring a beautiful, soft and shiny coat on your Canaan. It does with ours. The recipe is from Andi Brown, author of the "The Whole Pet Diet: Eight Weeks to Great Health for Dogs and Cats.

Ingredients

5 ounces olive oil
1 ounce cod liver oil
1 ounce wheat germ oil
1 ounce flax seed oil
1 garlic clove, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse for 30 seconds. Pour into a dark glass bottle or jar. Store in the refrigerator for freshness. Mix 2 teaspoons into your Canaan's diet. The mixture will keep for two months.

No comments: